HOW TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD’S LEARNING
At Beacon Rise, every child from Year 1 onwards will be asked to complete one or two homework activities a week. Not only is a homework an opportunity for children to consolidate their learning at school, but it also gives parents a chance to become involved in their learning.
Good homework habits
- Find a quiet place at home to use as a homework area. It needs a flat surface, a good light source and the right equipment e.g. pens, pencils, ruler.
- Be aware of modern teaching methods – examples of calculation strategies can be found in the maths section.
- Create a homework timetable and agree on when your child will do their homework.
- Discuss any homework tasks with your child and how it connects with what they are studying at school.
- Turn off the TV, but you could have music on if they find it helpful.
- Don’t give your child the answer in order to get a task finished. Instead, explain how to look up information or find a word in a dictionary.
- Don’t let homework become a chore. Keep it fun and make it a special time that you both look forward to.